I've waited to send out a new update so that I could give the most up to date and complete information that I could.
In the last blog entry, we shared that the results from Matthew's scan (of 9/18) showed his cancer was no longer responding to the chemo regimen and had started growing again. Since then, we have been doing extensive research into possible doctors and/or treatments for Matthew.
Our New York doctor had nothing in the form of clinical trials to offer but recommended a new combination of chemo drugs that Matthew began on the 21st of October. The first round will be completed on Nov. 4th. He also gave us suggestions of doctors to contact at the National Cancer Institute and MD Anderson Cancer Hospital.
On Nov. 5th we will travel to Houston, Texas where we are scheduled to see two doctors. One is Dr. S. Burzynski at the Burzynski Clinic which provides a variety of treatment but emphasizes treatment at the cellular/DNA level. The other doctor is Dr. Pete Anderson at MD Anderson Cancer Hospital, a world renowned cancer research facility. We are unsure of how long we'll be in Houston since the Burzynski Clinic suggests we be available to remain for 3 weeks if necessary.
In addition we have been in communication with National Cancer Institute in Maryland where testing is being done to see if Matthew is elligible for t-cell therapy.
Matthew has a very positive attitude in the midst of all this. Physically, he is tired and has "good days and bad" as far as pain and discomfort.
I would ask for your prayers for wisdom to make appropriate choices, strength to meet the challenges of each day, and healing for Matthew.
Love and blessings to each of you,