Thursday, December 4, 2008

Matthew's Scan Report

Dear Friends and Family,

We saw Matthew's doctor late yesterday afternoon to receive the results from the scan he had on Monday. Basically, the scan showed that the cancer is stable with low activity rate and some slight reduction in a few areas.

To help Matthew continue to build his weight and strength from being so sick a couple of weeks ago, the doctor wants to take Matthew off of 2 of the 3 meds he takes as part of his treatment until January. (The 2 he's coming off of are the culprits for his major side effects.) The one left (Avastin) is a very good drug that helps keep cancer stable and should have virtually no side effects. So he'll have a wonderful break through the end of the year.

Matthew had gained 7 pounds back yesterday - great news! He has been feeling pretty good this week, able to get out and hang out with friends, appetite returning. So, without chemo, his basic health situation should improve tremendously through the end of the year. (Boy, that's a paradox, isn't it?) Thank you for your continued prayers for Matthew and our family.

I got to go to choir rehearsal last night for the first time in awhile. Whew, what an uplift and blessing to my spirit! We're working on our Christmas music to sing each Sunday morning in December as well as a complete program on the 14th.

This is the first year in many that I am not directing - a bit of an adjustment. But this year God is giving me the cherished blessing of allowing me to add my voice to the many others who, up to now, I have directed. Along with the choir and a friend who is singing the part of Gabriel, I am singing the words of Mary's response to the angel sometimes referred to as The Magnificat.

Once Gabriel tells Mary of the task that God has for her does she say:
no, or let me think about it, or maybe someone else would be better prepared????

No, she humbly and courageously accepts God's task by responding:
(in the paraphrased words of the song)
My soul glorifies Your name, O God; My spirit rejoices in You.
My offering to You is my service, Lord. Let it be as You say.
My heart embraces Your gift of love;
My hands will nurture Your living Word;
I will be the earthly mother to Your holy Son;
Let it be as You say.

From the Fay Family: Merry Christmas to each of you, God bless you all and, hopefully, along with Mary, our hearts can embrace God's gift of love this season!

7 comments:

nbta said...

Let it be as you say. Merry Christmas

Dennis and Marie said...

We pray that you, Matthew, and your family have a wonderful Christmas and that 2009 brings more healing to Matthew.
Marie & Dennis Cope (friends of John Q)

quig said...

May you and your family have a wonderful holiday season. We will keep you all in our prayers. Peace, John

Ruth W. said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family. God bless you all.

Anonymous said...

I've got the folks at The Miracle Theater praying for you all. I'd love to have you guys up to see the show some time before the end of the year, if you would like.

quig said...

As Christmas approaches, I hope and pray that Matthew is feeling well and that you all can enjoy this season of love and peace. Blessings to you all, john

Andrea Hardy said...

Dear Fay Family - I am so glad to find this blog about Matthew. The entire Wenk clan has thought about all of you so often as you fight this horrible disease of cancer. You will remain in my thoughts and prayers and I will try to keep up with Matthew's progress through this blog.
Love, Andrea Wenk Hardy